Welcome to Duryea Borough
Forty original settlers arrived from Connecticut on February 8, 1769 and set up temporary cabins near the junction of the Lackawanna River and Susquehanna River. One of the first settlers was Zebulon Marcy for which Marcy Township got its name. Marcy Township was the original name of the area known as Duryea Borough. He built the first log cabin in 1770 on the west side of the present Main Street of Duryea not far from the Old Forge line.
Today, Duryea Borough has a population of approximately 4634 residents and consists of about 14.45 miles of road. The borough is located in Luzerne County, 10 miles northeast of Wilkes-Barre and 2 miles north of Pittston. Duryea Borough held a centennial celebration in 2001.